A personal log of life and WWW wanderings, 2007 onwards...

Jan 30, 2007

AA Changes - 1

I sold MSFT in the 1st week of Jan'07. I bought MSFT in Aug'06 after they announced disapponting quaterly results and the stock has a 5% drop in the price after the earnings announcement. I reasoned that the price drop was an overkill and bought the stock for a tiny % of my portfolio.(This is my speculative money!) By Jan'07 the stock had nicely recovered and the general stock market was doing great. The Dow Jones Index was hitting record highs every other day and MSFT had returned close to 20% for me. Also I wanted to diversify away from MSFT to commodities. So I decided to sell MSFT and along with some cash invested the money in DBC (Deutsche Bank Liquid Commodity index).

I wanted to increase my Commoidities allocation and was looking at various options. My first option was PCRIX(PIMCO CommodityRealRet Strategy), but Ameritrade had increased the price for Mutual Fund trades to $49, which would have made my Expense ratio for getting into the fund prohibitively high. I started looking for alternatives and boiled them down to DBC & DJP.

I will add more details here on the decision between DBC & DJP but for now a simple explanation lies in the link I added about alternatives to PCRIX.

No comments: